Variable Frequency Motor Drives (VFD) Training System
ITU makes VFD Training fun and easy!
This VFD or Variable Frequency Motor Drives Training Class and System is designed for working on real powered electrical circuits that include a Variable Frequency Drive to control the three phase motor (included). Also known as adjustable-frequency drives (AFD), variable-speed drives (VSD), AC drives, microdrives or inverter drives. This VFD technology is used to control the rotational speed of 3 phase electric motors. Often seen in ventilation systems (HVAC) in large buildings to control the drive motors on fans to manage the volume of air moved to match the demand of the system. Also commonly used on pumps, machines, and other tool drives.
The Instructor will easily become familiar with the VFD training material and be able to instruct students on how to complete circuits and fix “Real World” VFD bugs or failures in the circuit. Using the methods learned in this class, the students will use their meters and instruments to find and actually be able to diagnose problems. Real failures, real results, and real Variable- Frequency Drive Hands-On Troubleshooting!
- Industrial Panel Indication
- Ice Cube Control Relays
- Industrial Stop-Start Controls
- Selector Switches
- Three Phase Motor
- Rheostat Control (0-10v & 5-20ma)
- Wye wound Induction Motor
1. Desktop Training Platform
2. Connection Strip: The curriculum teaches a student how to correctly wire a control circuit using the same barrier strips found in most industrial machinery . This aids in teaching proper construction as well as troubleshooting methods.
3. Rheostat: A resistor that is adjustable – this is the part of the VFD panel that allows for the adjustment of current or the varying of resistance to the electric motor.
4. Stop Start Station: By far these industrial electrical switches are a staple in machines and process controls. The curriculum teaches all about these common devices by using real world scenarios to challenge the students throughout the training.
5. Selector Switch (upper): Selector switches are another very common control panel device that is used in many ways in common machine and process controls. Students will learn to understand, connect and troubleshoot this switch in this real world training.
6. Selector Switch (lower): Selector switches are another very common control panel device that is used in many ways in common machine and process controls. Students will learn to understand, connect and troubleshoot this switch in this real world training.
7. Electric Motor: A device used to convert electrical power into mechanical power. Electric motors operate through interacting magnetic fields and current carrying conductors to generate force, although electrostatic motors use electrostatic forces.
8. Ice Cube Relays or Control Relays: often called “Ice Cube” relays due to their appearance similar to an actual ice cube are a staple in most machine controls systems. Our curriculum teaches the types, functions, and operation of these common devices, along with the common failures, and the easy methods to troubleshoot them.
9. Variable Frequency Drive Unit: Programmable electrical device that controls the rotational speed of the electric motor.
10. Indicator Lamps: While simple in construction, students will learn the importance of these devices by wiring them into common circuits, seeing them operate and troubleshooting the circuits based on their functions.
11. Power Supply: The on-board power supply converts the 120VAC power to a manageable and safe voltage to allow the students to wire, troubleshoot, and even short circuit the control circuits without dangerous risks. The panel operates below the NFPA 50 volt level to dispel the need to wear PPE when training.
These Training Systems utilize a modified feed voltage (24 VAC) available on the training system for the students to work with, that allows a student to work with actual powered circuits yet protects the student from shock or burn. The unit powers up with standard 120volt wall outlet power, yet internally provides 230 volt three phase power for the motor onboard.
This Training System includes all the training material required to guide the instructor with the training material associated with this training system. It also includes an easy to use full color educational PowerPoint Presentation and a full color student Workbook that can be printed over and over.
What you get:
- The Complete Training Panel (with all components as shown)
- Real 3 Phase industrial motor mounted on the panel.
- Student Workbook (on CD, Print as many as you need).
- Instructor Guidebook (on CD) Training the Trainer materials.